If you haven’t noticed already, we’re true experts (okay, not really) and consumers of metalcore. The genre is much more multifaceted than most believe, and the last 30 years or so have seen the genre emerge from an underground niche, to commercially successful via Ozzfest and Warped Tour, to the current wave of bands like Knocked Loose and Jesus Piece that are pushing the genre in exciting new directions.
In a new video, The Punk Rock MBA just dropped a new video detailing where metalcore came from (bands like Earth Crisis and Integrity), to the rise of commercially viable bands after the decline of nu-metal (Killswitch Engage, Atreyu), and to the current wave of bands we’re seeing. It’s without a doubt incredibly enlightening, and if you’re not subscribing to his channel already, you’re missing out on potentially quite a bit of education.
A few of the subjects Finn McKenty touches on include…
– The roots of metalcore in the 90s hardcore scene and bands like Earth Crisis, Converge, Hatebreed, Unbroken, Botch, Deadguy, and Abnegation
– The next wave of bands like Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, Bleeding Through, Norma Jean, and Eighteen Visions
– How MTV, The Osbournes, Viva La Bam, and Guitar Hero fueled the growth of metalcore
– The scene years: Of Mice & Men, Asking Alexandria, Bring Me The Horizon, and The Devil Wears Prada (which ultimately lead to the collapse of metalcore)
– How bands like Vein, Sanction, Knocked Loose, End, and Jesus Piece are bringing back the sound and vibe of 90s metalcore