While on tour across Europe, Our Last Night – who released a video for their new single “Ivory Tower” – took some time to have a chat about their actuality and their band in general. Here is what you should know about what’s been going on with the band recently – with a quick interview below.
- How is your European tour doing so far ?
It been amazing so far…most of the shows have been sold out and the energy has been nuts. We always know Europe brings the intensity but this tour has been even crazier than we imagined. Its also been cool to return to a lot of these venues after playing them for years and have them be sold out.
- You’re coming to France for the 6th time this year, is there a different link with the audience here in Europe than in the US ?
We do a lot of work to stay connected to our supporters all over the world but especially in Europe since our shows are always so crazy over here. We do our best to create unique experiences at our shows and also while we home through social media. I think that really helps us to keep developing our relationship with everyone who listens to our music and follows us.
- You’re a hard working band (4 records, 6 EP in less than 10 years, many stand alone singles), is this your way to have a good longevity in this new music industry ?
We have adopted a very DIY approach to everything that we do, we like to be hands on. If we’ve learned anything from being together for 14 years, its that you have to take control over your future and work to progress yourself…if you don’t then who will? With that mindset comes an ability to create longevity because we never stop learning and are involved with every decision that determines our success. With the changing music industry this is very important.
- What are the biggest changes you’ve been facing in this universe, throughout your career ?
I think just growing up in general was a learning opportunity. When we first signed a record deal we were all very young, Trevor was 14. Being that young there is a lot of learning we had to experience. Now that we are a little bit older we’ve had the experience to now make confident and smart decisions moving forward.
- You’ve been having a relatively solid line-up with only a few changes, do you think that this has an impact on the success of your band, and in which way ?
We all grew up together for the most part. So just like Matt and Trevor are legit brothers we are all pretty much family. I think that has helped us to become successful because we all support each other. I think when you work together and know you are supported you can accomplish anything.
- Your last EP, Selective Hearing, was released in June, and since then you’ve had the chance to tour to support it, how did your fans react to these new songs ?
The reactions have been incredible. Its always fun to see and hear other people sing your songs, especially when they are new. We can tell when people know our new songs and lets just say we can tell Europe likes the new tunes.
- You’ve been playing Warped Tour this summer, how do you get prepared for this kind of tour ? (in terms of set list -time slots only allow you to play up to 7 songs in general-, of physical preparation, etc…)
We prepared a lot for warped. We rehearsed at a practice space for multiple days and made sure we all we’re on the same page. We always rehearse a lot before a tour but we recently switched to a full in-ear rig which took some extra getting used to along with playing some of our newer songs. We ran through everything a lot until we were comfortable with the whole set. Playing only 7 songs definitely made it tough to choose but we made sure to play the fan-favorites while mixing in some new ones and a cover.
- We’re a few days into your European tour with blessthefall, and we know that every concert is different for an artist, so do you happen to make some changes between the beginning and the end of a tour, are you adapting your concerts to what’s been going on during the first shows, or does the rhythm prevents you from doing this ?
Yes we definitely make some changes as we go to make sure the flow of the set feels right. We want to give our supporters the best experience possible so this tour we have been playing more songs than we ever have before and incorporating new dynamics within the set to keep it fresh…you’ll just have to come check it out!
If you want to check it out, make sure to catch the band on tour on one of the upcoming shows from their European tour with Blessthefall and New Volume: